Thursday, March 19, 2009

Random Happenings

Hello friends! It's been a while since I've posted anything here. It's been so crazy with Devin having been sick for three long weeks, then Antonio getting sick, then Kate had it for a weekend. I was so happy to have it over with, only to have Antonio coming home from school yesterday looking as white as a sheet, complaining that his throat hurts, then throwing up right at bedtime.....here we go again.
Devin got up the courage to get on the bus and go to school all by himself this morning, the first time without Antonio. Of course I had to give him a huge dose of Ondansetron so he wouldn't get so nervous and throw up, but hey, you have to do what you have to do! I told him during the times that he's well, he has to go for the gusto! He asked what gusto is, and after giving it some thought, I didn't have a good answer for him. I told him that he needed to really go for what he wants in life, and do it big! I told him like when Uncle Todd jumped out of an airplane, he went for the gusto! Then he understood what it was. I saw him kind of thinking about that one for a minute, wondering if I'm going to try to make him jump out of an airplane. I should have said everyone has a different way of going for the gusto. Oh well.




This cute little bench is one that I had when we lived in FL. When we moved back to WI, I left it behind, knowing that one day I'd be back for it, and some other things we left there. Well, two weekends ago, Frank and my brother Josh did a marathon drive to FL. 2,800 miles in 50 hours! Wow! They went to bring our things back. I had forgotten about my bench, and was happy to see it, but oh what a mess it was! The seat was white and was stained with every color of the rainbow! Ack! So my dear husband sprayed it with a mix of Tide and water and scrubbed it, let it dry, then took this blue fabric that I had and covered it, and made me a new bench! Isn't it cute? I love it. I am using it at my desk upstairs, where I used to use one of the kitchen table chairs.





With Devin at school now, Kate really misses him. In his IEP it is written that he has every Wednesday off to rest, and that is Kate's favorite day! She loves to just be with him and I caught them in the chair together and she was "talking" to him and telling him stories and he was talking back to her in coversation. It was really sweet.




Tuesday the 17th was our 19th anniversary. We don't usually do anything on our special day, so it was just another day, until I woke up and went out to the kitchen and found this message on the white board. My dear husband wrote it on his way out the door to work. I may be the only one to understand it, but that's ok. *Ü*




This is just a picture of the way Devin spent his past three weeks. Hooked up to IV fluids, lying on the couch in front of the tv. He was so bored. I read to him, he colored a little bit, we played games and he played the Wii for a little bit. We were both so happy to see him getting better and better each day. He lost a few pounds, but hopefully we'll battle back to his fighting weight of 63 pounds. A couple of years ago when we were living in FL he was up to 77lbs, but I just can't see him getting up that far on the scale again unless a miracle happens! He mostly hovers between 59lbs and 63lbs now. His doctors are concerned about his weight, but there isn't anything we can do until he stops getting sick all the time. We'll see what the next year holds for him. Hopefully not more of the same.

Blessings to you all!

0 comments: