Thursday, October 2, 2008

Yesterday at Antonio's school they had a lock-down drill. Antonio's special ed teacher called me yesterday afternoon to tell me what happened.
Antonio was with his class in the library when the bell or whatever it is that signals a lock-down drill went off, and the woman on the loudspeaker came on and said they were having a lock-down drill. The librarian shut off the lights and instructed everyone to get down and be quiet. Antonio, never having gone through this was unsure what to think, so in a comedic response began to snore pretending to be asleep. I guess some children were telling him to stop it, and some others were laughing. The teachers said they had a hard time stopping themselves from laughing, but knew they had to maintain their composure to be able to explain to Antonio that he can't do that. So this morning the special ed teacher emailed me a copy of the social story she read with Antonio about not snoring during a lock-down drill. I copied and pasted it below. For some reason the pictures didn't come through with the words, but it's kinda funny nonetheless.


Lock Down Drill
When I hear Lock Down on the loudspeaker I need to be quiet .

I need to listen to my teacher.

The teacher will turn off the lights.

I need to be quiet .

I cannot make noises.
It is not funny to snore when the lights are turned off .

I will do what my teacher tells me to do.

0 comments: